Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pure in Heart

II.      Vows of Rejection
We renounce violence of the heart, tongue and fist, neither willing nor working harm to any”

Heart-Keeper
(by h.koppdelaney via Flickr)
  1. I will reject violence of the heart: I will not harbor anger, resentment, envy, prejudice, or hatred. 
When we recognize the violence in our world, it’s often noticed in the form of physical and verbal violence. Yet some of the greatest violence exists within those of us who have never struck another creature or hardly raised our voices. Jesus, as he is fond of doing, flips the conventional picture on its head. You’ve heard it said, “Do not murder,” but I tell you don’t be angry or insult one another! In the gospels, Jesus digs beneath the actions and words of anger to the condition of the person inside. “Out of the abundance of the heart…”


As a quiet peacemaker I find myself proud of my ability to remain calm in situations of conflict, to resist a snippy word to an agitator, to keep my responses level and civil. And yet, at times my surface calm covers over a roiling anger and resentment below. Over protracted conflict I begin to despise what my opponents are doing, maybe even hate some of their traits and characteristics. I begin to make prejudiced assumptions about anyone who appears to be in their camp or even those who show just the slightest similarities. I may tell myself I don’t hate them, but I certainly can’t find any love for them. Today’s vow strikes to the core of my being, the source of my internal violence. “I will reject violence of the heart: I will not harbor anger, resentment, envy, prejudice, or hatred.”

For Reflection and Action:
  1. Thank God for the times when you have resisted violent, rageful, insulting or resentful words and actions. What things assisted you in resisting these words and actions?
  2. Now ask God to reveal the prejudices, anger, resentment, and insults deep within you. Who are these emotions directed against? What gave rise to them? What affect are they having on you?
  3. Take some time today to find one person with whom you are angry or resentful and take a step toward reconciliation (Matthew 5:21-24).
Prayer Focus
“Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.”

I confess today, God, that I have hated.
I have been resentful of others, of myself, even of you.
I didn’t let it come out, but deep inside I was vicious.
Cleanse me of the violence and rage deep inside.

“Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If this post has sparked new ideas, questions or commitments--or refreshed old ones--feel free to comment for the good of the community.